What if you could make it easy for readers to experience a breathtaking, immersive climb up Mt Everest? Time Inc.’s Sports Illustrated magazine achieved this with the use of augmented and virtual reality.
- Sports Illustrated (SI) decided to create a front-page story for its May 8, 2017 issue that would feature American Jeff Glasbrenner’s quest to become the first amputee to climb Mt Everest.
- Videographers and photographers joined Glasbrenner and his team and captured extraordinary images of the climb in photos and 360 video.
- SI needed a way to transition readers from print to the 360/VR experiences on the LIFE VR web page or mobile app.
- Envrmnt’s augmented reality technology let readers bring the pages to life. AR also ushered readers into deeper immersion with 360 video and virtual reality.
- New, exciting experience for SI readers.
- 30% increase of LIFE VR app downloads.
“It was already groundbreaking before we added the AR component to it, the first bottom to top climb of Mt Everest in VR. AR allowed us in the friendliest of ways to bring our readers to VR, and it was compelling.”
— Mia Tramz, Managing Editor, LIFE VR